Friday 11 January 2013

Organize Your Drawers Alphabetically (and Stop Losing Track of Stuff)

Organize Your Drawers Alphabetically (and Stop Losing Track of Stuff)Stop me if this sounds familiar: you need a few extra batteries, and know they're in a drawer somewhere, but you can't remember where? If your drawers are a bit too cluttered and unorganized, reader Owlmonkey has a great solution: just organize them alphabeticaly.

We asked you how you organize your drawers, and Owlmonkey had one of the more clever solutions:

I have a set of drawers for random things that I organize by alpha. Any items that I would name starting with A, B, or C go into that drawer. So I would find adapters there, batteries of all kinds, etc. Then there are drawers for D, E, F etc. Sometimes it takes a couple guesses for how I would name something but usually I find it on the first try.

Organizing by alpha is easier for me to remember than having a taxonomy of drawers by category, because I can't usually remember the categories I once used or how things would be sorted. Alpha is clean, and I usually only have to look in one or two places to find it.

Tape? No problem, all of that is filed in the T drawer. Scissors? Felt? Velcro? I know where all of my misc items are. It's been really confidence building to have a place for everything and a sense that I can always find it.

I don't know if I'd necessarily use this for my workspace?after all, quick access to the most important items is the best way to keep your workspace productive?but for the drawers where you're just storing miscellaneous "stuff," this seems like a quick way to make sure you find everything when you need it.

Organize Your Drawers Alphabetically (and Never Forget Where Anything Is Again)

Every week, we receive tons of reader tips, often in response to tips we've posted. Our Tip of the Week showcases our favorite tip from you that improves upon something else we've shared, shows us another way to do something, or otherwise deserves more attention than our regular tips roundups. Got a tip to share? Post it over at our tips forum or send it to us at tips@lifehacker.com.

Photo by AISPIX by Image Source (Shutterstock).

Source: http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full/~3/dz-U_0fkVP4/organize-your-drawers-alphabetically-and-stop-losing-track-of-stuff

bloomberg bloomberg Daily Caller Staten Island Trick or Treat Amy Weber Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment